Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Hypothyroidism Treatments...


Today I will discuss treatment for Hypothyroidism... The article below again come from WebMd.com. It discusses the clinical treatment for Hypothyroid patients and the medications that are suggested by doctors.
 I personally have chosen another route for my treatment. I have fought since December for doctors to figure out what was wrong with me and each trying to cure an ailment but not the root cause. I had mentioned once about my thyroid and they passively did lab work and told me I fell within the average normal. I went along with this because of course they are the Doctors and know more than me. All the while they were putting me thru a battery of exams and tons of medication with no relief in sight. This is where I went wrong! 
I continued to fight with my body and with symptoms... I was miserable, my family was miserable and I was growing increasingly more depressed. It was like my body was attacking me and my brain knew that this isn't the person I am supposed to be, but my body was saying this is who you will be. I decided to research more into Thyroid problems, taking every available test online, researching symptoms, treatments, doctors and reading every blog posted by Hypothyroid patients. Then after numerous blog post, suggestions and reviews I learned about Iodine Plus 2. I started taking the meds on Friday and I am anxious to see if there is a difference in my life. I will keep you guys posted! Much Love, Bridget!
Hypothyroid Clinical Treatment
Hypothyroidism can be easily treated using thyroid hormone medicine. The most effective and reliable thyroid replacement hormone is man-made (synthetic). After starting treatment, you will have regular visits with your doctor to make sure you have the right dose of medicine.
In most cases, symptoms of hypothyroidism start to improve within the first week after you start treatment. All symptoms usually disappear within a few months. Infants and children with hypothyroidism should always be treated. Older adults and people who are in poor health may take longer to respond to the medicine.

                If you have had radiation therapy and have hypothyroidism, or if your thyroid gland has been removed, you will most likely need treatment for the rest of your life. If your hypothyroidism is caused by Hashimoto's thyroiditis, you might also need treatment for the rest of your life. Occasionally, thyroid gland function returns on its own in Hashimoto's thyroiditis.
                If a serious illness or infection triggered your hypothyroidism, your thyroid function most likely will return to normal when you recover.
                Some medicines may cause hypothyroidism. Your thyroid function will return to normal when you stop the medicines.
                If you have mild (subclinical) hypothyroidism, you may not need treatment but should be watched for signs of hypothyroidism getting worse. You and your doctor will talk about the pros and cons of taking medicine to treat your mild hypothyroidism. The dose of thyroid medicine must be watched carefully in people who also have heart disease because too much medicine increases the risk of chest pain (angina) and irregular heartbeats (atrial fibrillation).
Initial treatment
Your doctor will treat your hypothyroidism with the thyroid medicine levothyroxine (for example, Synthroid, Levoxyl, or Levothroid). Take your medicine as directed. You will have another blood test 6 to 8 weeks later to make sure the dose is right for you.
If you take too little medicine, you may have symptoms of hypothyroidism, such as constipation, feeling cold or sluggish, and gaining weight. Too much medicine can cause nervousness, problems sleeping, and shaking (tremors). If you have heart disease, too much medicine can cause irregular heartbeats and chest pain. People who also have heart disease often start on a low dose of levothyroxine, which is increased gradually.
If you have severe hypothyroidism by the time you are diagnosed, you will need immediate treatment. Severe, untreated hypothyroidism can cause myxedema coma, a rare, life-threatening condition.
Treatment during pregnancy is especially important because hypothyroidism can harm the developing fetus.
                If you develop hypothyroidism during pregnancy, treatment should be started immediately. If you have hypothyroidism before you become pregnant, your thyroid hormone levels need to be checked to make sure that you have the right dose of thyroid medicine. During pregnancy, your dose of medicine may need to be increased by 25% to 50%.2
If you develop hypothyroidism after pregnancy (postpartum hypothyroidism), you also may need treatment. You will be retested for hypothyroidism if you become pregnant again. In some cases hypothyroidism will go away on its own; in other cases it is permanent and requires lifelong treatment.

5 comments:

  1. I have Hypothyroidism too. I'm currently on Levothyroxine to treat it. I find most of the time I feel pretty sluggish. I'm assuming it has something to do with my thyroid :-( We found out about the issue when I was trying to get pregnant for Brody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you had Thyroid problems also... Please let me know how things are going for you and any tips you may have.

    I was reading a lot reports of people on prescribed meds and still fighting symptoms. It seems that Hypothyroidism is the hardest to control and maintain. I just personally chose to go a different route after being pumped full of prescription meds and none of them helping. I just thought that my body needed a rest from things. Although, don't get me wrong if I don't see that I am getting results from the Iodine Plus I will talk with my doctors about getting put on medication. Just at this time I feel like I need to take control of my body and do what I feel is best for me. Ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this information Bridget. You hit the mark in regard with my questions about hypothyroidism. I'm glad I found your post.
    By the way, I wanted also to share some information regarding this issue, just click here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Glenda!!! I have seen the site that you sent me, I came across in my many searches for information about Hypothyroidism.

    Thanks for checking out my Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Aunt is also have hypothyroidism and she is on Armour thyroid. Armour thyroid is safe and natural treatment for hypothyroidism. She feels better after taking thyroid dosage. Click here for more information.

    ReplyDelete